Thursday, 17 February 2011

new book


this book has been highly recommended by a friend of mine. It's by David Bayles and Ted Orland and it's all about how and why we make art and the journey we go through in the process. It arrived today and I'm itching to read it. I think it will be just what I need at the moment as I have been having so many conflicting thoughts about my work, where it's going, why I'm doing it etc etc. I'll keep you posted on how it reads....
As for me, today I turned over a new leaf after some good advice last week, and rather than treating the day as a 'day-off' from my pharmacy job I actually treated it as 'a day at work in my art job'. I was up with the larks at 7am, walking Mac along the river at 7.45am and was back home and ready for work at 9am. I decided to have a bit of a change of routine, as it seemed recently I have been wandering aimlessly through the days that constitute my 'art-time' getting not a lot done as a result. Today I had my adminny to-do list to tackle for the first part of the day and then spent a few blissful hours in the studio, painting, colouring, crayoning, and making a mess, working on cheapo paper, and getting a lot of stuff off my chest.... a lot of what I did today was very personal, not particularly nice to look at, but I felt, for the first time in a long time, a real connection to my art. I'm hoping that by exploring things a bit deeper and on a different level I'm going to discover a new direction for my work.... let's see how it goes!!
The afternoon was spent with a friend of mine down at Loughborough Town Hall at a Creative Business Event about How to Get Customers to Your Stand. It was good, I learned lots and it has given me lots of marketing ideas and things to think about. Now it's time for bath, glass of vino and good thriller on ITV, curled up on the sofa with my boys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...