Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Featuring... Laura Amiss







this week my 'featuring' spot takes a look at the gorgeous work of Laura Amiss, an illustrator and designer working with textiles and print, two of my fave things!! Laura is originally from the north of England, like me, but for the last seven years she has called Amsterdam in The Netherlands home, which you can see in some of her colourful prints. She says she loves illustration and textiles (like me, ah we have so much in common!!) and she combines both of them so well in her work (ok, not like me, I haven't been in textiley-mode for a while, maybe I should give it a go soon!!)

She graduated in Textiles from Goldsmiths College at the University of London in 2003. After graduating she moved to Amsterdam and started working in the costume Atelier of the National Ballet and Opera house, which she says was both amazing and daunting (not speaking that much Dutch at the time). She now has the job of my dreams and works freelance as a designer and textiles artist.

Laura's handmade canvases are unique and are created using a selection of new and reclaimed fabrics. Her work is composed of subtle lines and color combinations produced through layering, piecing and sewing fabrics together. She draws inspiration from her every day environment and says she hopes that the way in which she recaptures the landscape or moments of ordinary life allows people to appreciate them with a fresh perspective. I would definitely agree that she has accomplished her goal, I just love her work. If you want to see some more of it you can check out her website here or you can have a look in her Etsy shop and maybe treat yourself to something while you are there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...