Thursday, 22 September 2011

finding inspiration in the strangest places



ok, weird I know, but I do think it's really strange where you can find simplest things that inspire you. I always take my sketch  books on holiday but it's quite rare that I actually ever feel like I have time to sketch because there is always so many other things to do, sight-seeing, swimming, eating, and one holiday-luxury which I love.... reading! (i devoured five books in two weeks!) This holiday, with it being for two weeks, we really had the opportunity to unwind and really just 'be' so I did get my sketchbook out and do some doodling...

We were sat in a gorgeous restaurant, Polyphemus, in a beautiful little village on Ithaca. It was one of those real 'holiday finds' that you have to revisit before you go home, set under olive trees in a beautiful quaint garden, decorated with twinkly fairy lights strung amongst the trees, oil lamps, old painted watering cans, pretty glass jars. I noticed that they had some gourds hanging from a line above the top part of the garden, and I just had to take a photo (not brilliant but it was evening and it was getting dark). There was something about the collection of shapes that I really liked.

Anyway, long story short, I started to explore the shapes the following week, whilst relaxing in the hammock, and this is what I came up with. I'm not sure quite how I am going to use them but they are definitely going to appear somewhere soon in my new work..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...