Friday, 21 October 2011

bring on the charcoal





Last night I attended my first Life Drawing Class (a course of ten which my lovely friends bought me for my birthday!!). I turned up an hour late as I had to work yesterday, so could only make the last two hours. I was kind of nervous as I haven't picked up a piece of charcoal and drawn a 'person' sinced I was doing my Foundation Course about five or six years ago. So, as you can imagine I was a wee bit nervous. I wondered whether I'd have forgotten how to draw! I've been spending so long working on my intricate and detailed bird illustrations that the thought of drawing anything else apart from trees filled me with a bit of panic!!

But, what a great evening I had. The course took place in the function room of a pub in a village near where I live, so not too far to travel. There was a wide range of ages and experience and everyone was so lovely and friendly, I needn't have worried! I'm going to take some pics of my work every week so I can look back at the end and (hopefully) see an improvement!! Anyway, here are some of the sketches I did last night, not brilliant, but I felt quite pleased with them (ie you can tell that the subject is human!!). I haven't forgotten how to draw I just need a bit more practice!!

It felt great to draw again, to get charcoal all over my fingers and not have to worry about smudges, and it was lovely to flex the hand-eye co-ordination again, very enjoyable and very relaxing, a lovely end (well nearly) to quite a shitty week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...