Monday, 9 January 2012

Bite sized chunks - a bit of simple advice


Ooh, one of my favourite things, Chocolate Orange, it's definitely not Terry's, it's mine!! Started to tuck into this the other night whilst watching a couple of epsiodes of The Killing, series 1 (fab TV if ever I've seen it!!). Anyway, you may be wondering why on earth I've posted a random picture of a chocolate orange? Well, there is method in my madness... I've been thinking about my blog and posting more relevant 'creative business' posts which may be informative to my dear readers and not just harping on about what I'm up to all of the time.

So, this got me thinking about a lot of the blogs I've read recently, especially since the beginning of the year, and it seems a lot of people are writing themselves their task lists for the New Year. I've done it myself and have some big things coming up in 2012, scary and exciting. With my 'to-do' lists I usually start off looking back at my last one and writing down the things that didn't get done, and then writing down the new things I need to do. I have noticed though that some items, such as 'sort accounts' and 'sort print catalogue' just keep re-appearing every time I write a new list. I thought to myself about the reasons why and part of it was that they just seem like too huge a task to tackle, and as as result, this was putting me off and I was shying away from tackling them. Not very productive at all!!

So how to make them a bit easier and more manageable? This is where the chocolate orange comes in... Who can eat a chocolate orange all in one go? Well, for starters, it's pretty impossible to get it your mouth all at once isn't it, unless you have an extremely large mouth! So what do you do...bang it on the wall and break it up into bite sized chunks and it's a whole lot easier to get through (mine is nearly finished now!) What I'm trying to say is, if you do this with the really big scary and seemingly 'unachievable' jobs on your list, break each one down into mini-tasks you need to achieve in order to tick off the 'biggie', it just seems a lot less trouble, and is much better for your morale!! Not rocket science I know, but just a new way to think about tackling those 'biggies' on the list that you find it hard to face!! Simples!!

So there you are, maybe you already do this, I'd love to hear how the rest of you plan your workload and get through those jobs we'd rather not have to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...