Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Sketchbook Peeks - Sarah Cavani


Before we start, tell us a little about yourself/how did you get into art/craft/design career and how it all started and where you are now….

Colour is the dominant force in my work and the figure is a reoccurring subject matter.I started painting in 2006 when injury prevented me continuing my business designing and making bespoke bridal wear. Becoming an artist fulfilled my creative needs. It began with a block of life drawing classes and has now developed into a full time career that fits around my family perfectly

How long have you been using sketchbooks?
I have been using sketchbooks since 2006.



How often do you sketch?
I help to run a 2 hour life drawing class once a week. This has become my main sketching time. I try to attend at least one other drawing session every week. I also discipline myself to draw something every day, or at least sketch out ideas for paintings.

How do you feel about the prospect of starting a new sketchbook?
Starting a new sketchbook is always exciting. It either means I have found something new to ‘recycle’ into a sketchbook, been given a new sketch book or have new ideas to get down on paper.

When/where do you get your inspiration for your sketchbook pages?
Inspiration for my sketchbooks comes from day to day life. I am a bit of a magpie, though I collect images and Ideas, not shinny things. If I am going on a train journey I make sure I have a small sketchbook with me. Station platforms and cafe’s are two of my favourite places to make quick sketches of people.

6. How would you describe your creative process?
My creative process is very spontaneous and I often have several paintings ‘on the go’ at a time. This makes the sketchbook an essential tool. It acts as visual list that I can refer back to. Often keeping me focused on my initial ideas

7. Have your sketchbooks evolved over the years and if so, how?
Yes my sketchbooks have evolved over the years. To start with I treated every page as a potential masterpiece. I am far more relaxed now about what goes into my sketchbooks. Often the notes I make at the side of a sketch are just as important as the sketch itself.

8. What is your favourite medium to work with?
My favourite medium to work with at the moment is biro. I have recently recycled several degree show catalogues by applying white acrylic paint. This blocks out some of the printed image and gives an interesting texture to work on. Using biro has stopped me being distracted by colour and had helped me to consider my use of line.


9. Do you have a favourite sketchbook?
My favourite sketchbook is the one I have used for the last few months at my weekly life drawing session. It is a recycled degree catalogue. I enjoy letting the paint and print marks that are already present, and the life models pose, dictate where the sketch appears on the page

10. If you had to pick one favourite page which would it be and why?
My favourite page is in another one of my recycled degree catalogues. It is a quick study of a woman in a scarf. The existing marks and figure sat in front of me fitted together so perfectly. It was as if I had made the brush marks knowing what I would draw over them. This couldn’t have been further from the truth. This lucky coincidence makes it one of my favourite pages.



So thats' all folks for the first of my sketchbook peeks, I'd like to say thank you to Sarah for taking part. If you want to find out a bit more about her or see more of her work, check out her website here and take a look.

1 comment:

  1. Love these peeks into an artists sketchbook, beautiful work and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...