Monday, 20 February 2012

Sketchbook Peeks - Farah Qureshi



This week we are departing from the traditional and looking at how other designers and makers from different disciplines use sketchbooks as part of their practice. Fascinating stuff as we meet jewellery designer Farah Qureshi.... If you want to find out abit more about Farah you can visit her blog here, follow her on Facebook here, and tweet her here.... 

Before we start, tell us a little about yourself/how did you get into art/craft/design career and how it all started and where you are now
I have always enjoyed painting and drawing since I was very young and then decided to go to art college to learn more about the different aspects of art.  Jewellery appealed to me as I love to work on a small intricate scale and working in three dimensions opened up a new world.  I now design and make jewellery professionally and sell my work through events such as London Jewellery Week and also sell to shops across the United Kingdom.


How long have you been using sketchbooks?
I have been using sketchbooks since I was on a foundation course at Chelsea School of Art, in my late teens.

How often do you sketch?
It varies, when I am sourcing new ideas the sketchbook becomes an important tool, noting down my inspiration and developing ideas through to creating designs.  When I am making, creating the jewellery becomes the focus, as it is quite exciting realising the designs.





How do you feel about the prospect of starting a new sketchbook?
Starting a new sketchbook is always exiting as it opens the possibility to create new work and new possibilities. 



When/where do you get your inspiration for your sketchbook pages?
The inspiration for my sketchbook pages comes from many sources, for example I have been traveling to Australia in recent years and this has inspired new jewellery designs.  Visiting botanical gardens is always inspiring and most recently I have been developing a micro collection which has been inspired by a painting.


How would you describe your creative process?
I would describe my creative process as being a cycle.  Where I start from the kernel of an idea and go through the various stages to create a collection.  Then I start the process again. 



Have your sketchbooks evolved over the years and if so, how?
My sketchbooks have evolved from experimenting with different media to focusing on developing ideas for jewellery.


What is your favourite medium to work with?
I always pick up a pencil when I start to work however I do also like to work with watercolours.



Do you have a favourite sketchbook?
My favourite sketchbooks are the ones that I did at art college when it was a time of discovery, trying new ways of drawing and using different media


If you had to pick one favourite page which would it be and why?
In my most recent sketchbooks I would chose a page which has a coloured drawing as it has encouraged me to develop a new range of work incorporating colour and my jewellery has taken a new direction, which is always a good thing




No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...