Thursday, 24 May 2012

Time for Reflection


So May is nearly over and my main event of the year (yes, the trade fair) is all over and I've packed most of my orders up and sent them off, added some fantastic new stockists to my list, learned a lot of new things in the process of it all, the preparation, the actual experience show and the after-show follow-up. It's been a great year so far and hopefully I will have a few more exciting things in the pipeline, (shows I have applied to, and am waiting to hear from, possible collaborations and exhibitions etc, fingers crossed that some of them come to fruition!)...but for now I have some time to think about my business and my work and I have lots of ideas whizzing around my head. I want to spend the next three months at least developing something, I'm just not sure what at the moment....

I was lucky enough to be chosen to take part in the Design Factory Mentorship scheme and I've been to my first meeting today to find out how the new 6 month scheme will work and what kind of things to expect. As part of the brief we have to think about our story so far, reflecting on how we have come to be where we are now, doing what we are doing. Then I need to identify some 12 month goals and also think about my plans for the next five years. I think getting this down on paper will really help me to visualise my masterplan!! I need to have a good think about my strengths and weaknesses and hopefully in doing that I will be able to identify five key areas or issues I want to address/develop. As part of the scheme there will be a portfolio analysis, which I'm really looking forward to. Having a fresh pair of eyes look at my work will be fab, and a new point of view.

For me I think I'm going to need to sit down in the studio with a note pad and have a serious think, I have so many thoughts and ideas, it's going to be tricky to narrow it down to five! Once I've done this, I then need to think about one main area I want to work on during the following six months, hopefully my mentor will be able to rein me in here and help me to focus on choosing just one....

It's very exciting to be part of this new programme, I think it's going to be a really positive experience and I fully intend to get as much from it as I can. As they say, Carpe Diem, these opportunities don't come along every day, so you need to make the most of them.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great oppurtunity, and i am so glad the trade fair went so well.

    I wish you lots of good vibes for the future :)

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Donna, for the comment and the good vibes, am sure they will come in very useful!!

      Delete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...