Monday, 30 July 2012

Sketchbook Peeks - Briony Jose


Before we start, tell us a little about yourself/how did you get into art/craft/design career and how it all started and where you are now
Hello, My name’s Briony jose. I’m a 20 year old illustration student going into my final year at Glyndwr university in September. I’m a tea obsessed, charity shop loving country bumpkin with too many cameras and not enough dogs. I started drawing from as far back as I can remember, both my grandparents were watercolour painters and encouraged me from an early age to paint and draw. I doodled constantly and never though of turning these doodles into anything till really my final year in school where I took the chance and applied for art school! I’m currently trying to fit in creating products and finishing my degree.


How long have you been using sketchbooks?
Sketchbooks have always been my main idea writing, doodling and sketching place. The poor things are carried, dropped and generally battered as I slowly fill them with junk.



How often do you sketch?
I try and sketch everyday, I say try as sometimes work or general artist block prevents me from doing so. But in general I will say everyday.

How do you feel about the prospect of starting a new sketchbook?
The prospect of a new sketchbook, Crikey! Well, too me this always used to be the worst part of a sketchbook. I’d find or now a days make myself a sketchbook think up a really lovely starting page and within 5 minutes completely ruin it. So I try not to think of it as a new sketchbook, more just paper that needs filling. Definitely binding my own sketchbooks has helped to get over that panic filled fear that comes with the new sketchbook.



When/where do you get your inspiration for your sketchbook pages?
Inspiration with me always seems to come at the most inappropriate of times. When it’s quiet at work seems too of become a new favourite time for inspiration to show its face. So I know have ridiculous amounts of paper in my pockets from scribbling ideas. But if I chose when I got inspired, somewhere in the country on a lovely walk with my dogs surrounded by flowers…also the sun helps!

How would you describe your creative process?
Not a process, I just draw. I don’t really have a specific way of developing anything, I just do unintentionally this drives my university tutors mental! Ha.


Have your sketchbooks evolved over the years and if so, how? I think I’ve become less neat, I used to be very careful and abit ocd about how I drew in my sketchbook I liked it to look tidy and clean. However I think now I’m becoming more haphazard I have little splashes of watercolour and smudge marks with a mass of little sentences of ideas placed around them.


What is your favourite medium to work with? I tend to work with watercolour, pencil and either a 0.05 or 0.1 fineliner. I’m trying to use digital to clean things up abit more, however me and photoshop are still yet to of become friends. I’m much more a traditional person.

Do you have a favourite sketchbook? A recent a4 sketchbook I binded myself and covered with a lovely flowery fabric has become my new love, just because when I book bind I feel more attached to the sketchbook.


If you had to pick one favourite page which would it be and why? One favourite page, oh really? Well I’m far to critical of my own work to choose just one page. I have a few I like but don’t like enough to be a favourite. Right okay this page from sketches I did for a university project. I very rarely just sketch in pencil, but I really like the character that came from the sketches so that is my reason.


Many thanks to Briony for taking part in Sketchbook Peeks. If you would like to find out more about her and her work you can find her here on Facebook, her gorgeous blog is here, one of her shops is here, and you can follow her on twitter here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...