Monday, 23 July 2012

Sketchbook Peeks - Sarah May Rogers

Before we start, tell us a little about yourself/how did you get into art/craft/design career and how it all started and where you are now
After a year of studying Fine Art at university I realised the course wasn’t satisfying me and I switched to Ceramics & Glass as I was drawn to the medium of glass. Much to my surprise, I found glass a difficult and frustrating material and discovered a passion for working with clay. My love for this wonderful, versatile and tactile material continues and I now run my own ceramics studio, constantly experimenting and discovering new ways that I can work with it.


How long have you been using sketchbooks?
Since I was a child. There’s something lovely about a book made up of images, that holds your visual thoughts together, keeping them safe.


How often do you sketch?
At least a few times a week. The ceramic process takes time and often requires a great deal of patience. I love the immediacy of sketching and use it to get a spontaneous creative fix!


How do you feel about the prospect of starting a new sketchbook? The emptiness of the pages can be a bit daunting, but I try to remind myself that this is for me, no-one else needs to see it, so I can draw whatever I want, make mistakes and do some rubbish work and it doesn’t matter!


When/where do you get your inspiration for your sketchbook pages?
I tend to sketch abstract doodles and scribbles. The inspiration usually comes from whatever I am feeling at the time. I tend to draw without thinking about the end result, just put pencil/pen etc to paper and see what happens.


How would you describe your creative process?
 A constant evolving and exploring of ideas.


Have your sketchbooks evolved over the years and if so, how?
I think they’re freer now. Also, they’re bigger!


What is your favourite medium to work with?
In a sketchbook, either pencil or oddly enough, biro. Clay allows me to draw in three-dimensions.

Do you have a favourite sketchbook?
I like my square one that is full of things that I’ve stuck in and charts a period of my life in which my creativity grew in confidence.


If you had to pick one favourite page which would it be and why?
At the moment, my abstract ‘mess’ done with acrylics and pens. I like the aesthetic of the dark colours disappearing behind the white paint.
Thanks to Sarah for taking part in Sketchbook Peeks. If you would like to find out amore about Sarah and her work you can check out her website here, follow her on Facebook here, and follow her on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...