Friday, 3 August 2012

What I'm reading this week... 30 Days to Online PR and Marketing Success


Ok, so it's not a best seller on Richard and Judy's Summer Reads (which I must say, by the way, I'll be checking out for my next holiday) but this book, 30 Days to Online PR and Marketing Success, was recommended to me by a fellow tweeter and it came highly recommended indeed. I had a gift voucher to spend so decided to invest it in my 'business-learning' rather than popular poolside fiction and this is what plopped through my door a couple of weeks ago.

I've been eyeing it nervously wondering when I'm ever going to have 30 days to spare to dedicate to marketing my creative business, but decided to throw caution to the wind and peeled open the covers last week. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this book was actually dedicated to me... well to 'heroic small business owners who gain new skills every day to promote their companies and better serve their clients' so that was a good start in my opinion! Now this author, Gail Z Martin has also written other books on social networking, writing a book (which I'm now reading) and also how to market said book, so I'm pretty much convinced she is going to know what she's on about. Gail is also a public speaker, coach, and consultant about all matters marketing so I feel confident this book is going to help me gain some insight in how I get my marketing to work for my business!

Now, I'm only a few chapters in but the thing I like about '30 days' is the fact that it makes you ask yourself questions. I got out my note pad and started scribbling thoughts in chapter one and have made several pages of notes to date. I'm starting to think about my target audience and who they are, where they are and how I'm going to find them and keep in touch with them, and already I've noticed how non-existent my 'marketing strategy' is (although I think I really knew that already, in fact even the word 'strategy' makes me go a bit cold!!). This book has made me think about success (my own definition of it) and the things I want to achieve from my business, and I noticed how writing these down made a huge difference to my clarity of thinking (maybe this is my list-OCD behaviour surfacing again!).

So I'm plodding on through the next few chapters, really just taking my time, and grabbing it whenever I have some free time, and I'm really noticing a difference in how I'm thinking about my marketing. I'm not so sure on some of the terminology and have found 'defining my transformative value' a bit difficult to get my head around, but I think I'm going to get on well with this book. I'll keep you posted on the progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...