Thursday, 13 September 2012

Nottingham Festival of Words Launch Event




Last night I was lucky enough to be involved in the first Nottingham Festival Of Words Launch Event at Antenna in Nottingham. Nottingham Festival of Words is a collaboration between Nottingham Writers’ Studio, Nottingham City Council, Writing East Midlands, and Nottingham Trent University, and will run from 9 to 24 February 2013, with its hub at the Newton Building in the city centre over the weekend of 16 and 17 February. The launch event is part of World Event Young Artists, which is bringing 1000 young artists from 100 different countries to Nottingham this September.

I had put a proposal in for the Festival of Words a few  months ago, after hearing about the event through my Design Factory Mentor, Debbie Bryan, and was over the moon to be chosen as their Artist in Residence for the main festival weekend in February 2013. When they asked me if I would like to be involved with the Launch Event I really couldn't say no. So off I went last night, feeling a little unsure, as I'd never really done anything like this before. I was going to be drawing/sketching during the course of the evening in reponse to the performances.... The final piece of work will then be placed into a silent auction which will take place over the next few months, and the proceeds will all go back into The Festival of Words.

So, there I sat, at the side of the audience, pen in hand, blank piece of paper in front of me, drawing board on my knee, and I spent the evening listening and responding to some amazing performances, details of which you can find here. It was a truly amazing experience, something I have never done before, the comfort zone was left far behind! I got to meet some lovely people, make some great contacts, and spent an evening in a city-centre creative business hub, doing what I love.... doodling!! Priceless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...