Thursday, 24 January 2013

Finding Inspiration - remembering forgotten ideas


Do you ever get stuck for ideas when you are embarking on a new project? I do, and I know I'm not the only one. Creative Thursday, the book review of which you can read here, gave me a few ideas for finding new inspiration and I think that looking back through old sketchbooks can really get the grey matter working again and fire up your creativity.


I have a cupboard full of sketchbooks, of all shapes and sizes, some crammed full of sketches, doodles and notes, some may have been started with a new idea which filled a few pages and then was forgotten, and some are empty, their pages blank, full of possibility...

Whilst I was looking for something in the depths of my huge cupboard the other day I came across a sketchbook I started a couple of years ago. It's a beautifully designed Eco-Jot ring-bound pad A4 made of recycled paper. I bought it on holiday and had forgotten all about it after filling a few pages with my ideas. I had wanted to start a food-inspired project, as I'm a bit of a foodie, love cooking and do like spending time in the kitchen. I had two pages of research ideas and things I wanted to explore, but then something else came along, I got dragged away and I forgot all about it.


On rediscovering my sketchbook I sat and browsed for a few moments and it really took me back to my Foundation Course and the processes I used to go through when starting a new project. I think I have become so focussed on my current technique/themes/content of my ink illustration I was surprised to realise that I seem to have temporarily forgotten about everything else, all of the other possibilities, materials, ideas, and processes that I've used in the past. At college we were encouraged to do our primary and secondary source research and list possibilities we wanted to explore. I was intrigued to read through my list of ideas and remind myself of all the things I'd thought of - photography, visiting market stalls, buying samples, tasting them, using fruit and veg to print with, looking through my cookery books, going through my image box, sticking and collaging images into my book....

It was refreshing to see how I'd experimented with other media, monoprinting, which I used to love, painting, collage. This has made me realise that I need to continue to experiment with my work and it has also re-awakened my enthusiasm for a food-inspired project. I have a busy few months ahead but this is definitely something I want to explore again. So, thanks to Creative Thursday, the book I reviewed last week, my creativity and inspiration has been sparked and I feel like I can't wait to get on with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...