Monday, 22 April 2013

My BCTF Favourites - Phiona Richards




This is another of my BCTf favourites from the 2013 show at Harrogate, the lovely Phiona Richards, aka Rare Notions, paper sculptress extraordinaire and generally very nice person. I first got to meet Phiona at one of the CPD days at NCCD where we attended a session on Creative Business Planning by Pete Mosley, if you missed it, you can read the blog post here. I had heard of Phiona and seen her work in a variety of outlets and it was great to finally put a face to the name. She shared a stand with Samantha Robinson, who's work I will be featuring next week.


Phiona Richards creates interactive book sculptures and intriguing jewellery using traditional needlework techniques. "Having been brought up with a ‘make do and mend’ mentality I tend to collect and gather materials including books near the end of their existence and regenerate them into pleasing tactile structures using a variety of needlework techniques. Although they appear to be fragile and delicate they are quite robust and interaction becomes a therapeutic experience on many sensory levels."



Phiona says of her work 'I am intrigued by paper and it's versatility. It is a total misnomer and full of contradictions. I am continually exploring the possibilities this material unfolds for me'

If you would like to find out more about Phiona and her stunning paper creations you can visit her website here which will take you to all her online links. You can follow her on twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...