Friday, 5 April 2013

Working with a Creative Business Mentor - Part 1 - Identifying Goals

One of the things I really want to achieve through this blog is to use my experiences in creative business and to share what has worked well for me, in the hope that others can benefit from what I've learned. Working with a Creative Business Mentor on the Design Factory Mentoring Scheme has been an opportunity which has been AMAZINGLY beneficial to me and my creative practice that I thought I would write a series of blog posts about the process and also interview a couple of Mentors as well.

I started working with my mentor Debbie Bryan last summer and during our first session we looked at some of the issues I was facing in my practice and what kind of things I wanted to address during the mentoring process. I really felt that I needed some help so it was great to sit down with someone impartial who could give me some really useful input. I needed help with the following:
  • I was unsure of next steps to take business forward
  • setting myself realistic goals
  • lack of marketing strategy
  • focusing and prioritising
  • developing my portfolio and skill set
We also looked at the ambitions and aspirations I had identified in my application form so we both had a firmer idea of the direction in which I wanted to head:
  • aim to earn consistent income from creative practice
  • explore other media and expand skill-set
  • expand  range of produsts
  • develop ideas, introduce colour, new themes to work
  • collaborate with other artists and exhibit more widely
  • continue and grow creatve business blog to help showcase work of other designer makers
  • work on marketing strategy
  • identify further trade fairs to take part in
  • expand audience nationally and internationally
And I had also listed ways in which I thought I would use the program to help me achieve these aspirations and goals:
  • draw on mentors experience
  • utilise mentors knowledge of the creative business sector
  • utilising an experts opinion/critical feedback on portfolio
  • forging links with other practitioners
  • being inspired by other creatives
  • help with concepts and ideas development
  • working within specified timescales would help with goal achievement and motivation
  • giving my practice more structure
Read the next instalment of How working with a Mentor has helped me next week. In the meantime, wish me luck at BCTF and if any of you are going please come and say hi and stand 151a.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a 'proper' mentor relationship yet, but I've gotten a lot of guidance from my mother (a writer and crafter herself) and I feel like a lot of my favourite books have been mentors in their own way. I think creative people especially benefit from an impartial eye on their work.

    I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this. Very useful stuff :D Good luck with BCTF

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...