Thursday, 13 June 2013

The Creative Business Explorer Review - Part 2



This is the second part of a series of blog posts about my journey through the Creative Business Explorer which has been designed by Creative Business Mentor, Pete Mosley. In Part 1 I gave a brief introduction into this online course which gives a structured approach to exploring your own creative business at your own pace. As my own Business Mentoring partnership with Debbie Bryan and The Design Factory has come to an end, I figured this would be the perfect time to work through the Creative Business Explorer so I can figure out the next phase of my own creative journey.

The great thing about the Creative Business Explorer is that you can work through it at your own pace, so if, like me, you are quite busy and don't have a lot of free time, it's great to be able to dip in and out of, although I do think that I get the most out of it when I have at least an hour to be able to spend on it.


So in this part of my review I'm working through Modules 3 and 4. These modules cover 'The Wheel of Creative Business', a fantastic tool which enables you to divide up the whole of your creative business into separate components such as 'Creativity and Inspiration' and 'Branding and Profile', to name a couple. You then work your way around the 'whole' asking yourself questions on the way around and scoring how well you think you are doing in each sector.There is an area to make notes online or you can download and print off the worksheet if you feel better about making your notes on paper.

This gives an overview, once complete, of your own strengths (or areas you are doing well in) and also those which you don't perceive you are doing as well. The result of this gives you an idea of the areas in your business on which you need to concentrate and spend a bit more time. I was amazed to see how I scored myself compared to the first time I used this tool. I think working in this way can really help you to focus on areas which need work and come up with a list of tasks you need to achieve in order to do this. Pete has the knack of being able to get you to ask the right kinds of questions of yourself, and this kind of activity really makes you think. Give yourself plenty of time to work on Module 3.

Module 4 covers 'the Creative Business Mindset' and it gives you a list of the key behaviours and characteristics that are common amongst those running successful creative businesses. Like Pete says, there is no magic involved here, you just need to make sure you have plans in place to be able to perform well in these key areas. In this section, as well as examining how well you are doing with the different 'successful creative behaviours' such as adaptability, there is a great downloadable article which covers the Immutable truths behind creative self-employment. This is a really insightful article, full of home truths, a grounding reality check, and one which I shall definitely be dipping into again.

So if you think this Creative Business Toolkit is something you think your own creative business could benefit from you can buy it by clicking the link below. I'm working with Pete as part of an affiliate partnership, which means that if you purchase his product through my blog I will earn a commission as part of the deal (at no extra cost to you).
Click here to view more details

For a limited time you can also get a 20% discount on the price of £29.99 by using the code AOW1 on the checkout. Go on, you know it makes sense!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...