Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Focus Gallery - Nottingham




 Focus Gallery on Derby Road in Nottingham has been around for as long as I can remember and was a favourite haunt of mine when I was a student living down the road. It was always somewhere we would go when we wanted to buy a present that was 'something a bit different' and was out first choice out of all of the other shops Nottingham has to offer. The High Street has changed a lot since then (early 90's) and it now seems every town centre looks the same, the same big names and the same mass-produced goods, which you can buy anywhere from London to Edinburgh. But make the effort to head a little way out of the Market Square and you find yourself on Derby Road, which seems to be full of smaller independent businesses. This is where you can find Focus Gallery.

Focus Gallery began in 1971 with Norman Roland at the helm. Since then Focus has continued to grow and thrive and establish itself as Nottingham's most respected and well known place for beautiful and unusual art and crafts. In 2004 Lorraine and Angelo Murphy became the proud owners of Focus Gallery and took the opportunity to take the gallery onto the next level, by introducing a wealth of fresh talent, whilst continuing to showcase long term exhibitors and makers whose reputation and talents continue to be admired and in demand.


I'm proud to say that Focus has been a stockist of my work for a couple of years now and I love popping in to see Lorraine and Angelo and have a look at the work they have on show. This is exactly what I did last week and also had a gander at their fantastic Summer Exhibition, featuring work of some of my very favourite local artists, Helen Hallows, Josephine Gomersall, Helen Rhodes, Katrin Moye and Gillian Lee Smith.

Helen Hallows
 
Josephine Gomersall

Helen Rhodes

Katrin Moye

Gillian Lee Smith
If you are in the area I urge you to pop in and have a look around the Exhibition. There's loads of eye-candy and you will be tempted to treat yourself, I promise!

2 comments:

  1. Im just above focus.
    My wife loves it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine and Angelo are fab people. Always so welcoming and friendly. Even though I own a gallery myself I've bought something almost every time I've gone in!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...