Thursday, 6 February 2014

Compiling a sketchbook




Project 8 in Water Paper Paint, a book I'm working through to help me discover the wonders of watercolour,  is all about Keeping Sketchbooks. If you have read my blog for a while you will know this is something I'm quite passionate about, and even though I don't sketch as much as I would like to, I do think sketchbooks form a really important part of my creative process. They help me to get things out of my thoughts and down onto paper, and record my progress through different ideas, topics and themes I explore. 

My foundation course in Art and Design got me back into using sketchbooks, although I did feel that the critique of our sketchbooks meant you felt inclined to 'make' them look as good as you could rather an just using them as you naturally wanted to, as part of your creative process. Every page doesn't have to be a work of art in itself but at college I always felt that it did.

So since leaving college to pursue my creativity in my own way my sketchbooks have become more real, more about me, for me, and I don't miss having to create page to impress others. So, you can imagine my excitement before Christmas when I placed my order for two of my favourite Heaton Cooper large square sketchbooks from their studio in Grasmere, Cumbria. I bought two as I had two projects in mind for 2014, Landscapes and Vessels, both very different, and I like the idea of keeping them separate and in their own book each.

My Landscapes sketchbook is filling up nicely with plenty of experimental painting techniques. Here are some of my favourite pages below...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...